Thursday, November 11, 2010

Substitues!






November 2-4, 2010:

We taught! Because Jenessa left to Lima with Hanna and Chris Kusay (I have no idea if that’s how you spell his last name), Rachel and I had to be her substitutes. Wow. What an experience. I am positive that I couldn’t handle doing it any longer. Let’s just say that I am very happy with my position J

There were two different schools we had to teach at. One was at Santa Elvita and let me tell you, I saw some crazy stuff. In a 1 hour period I saw everything. Kids fighting, jumping on you, touching you, screaming, running around, crying, things unthinkable… The ages were from 5-8 and the majority of them were 5-6. At first I thought that they were acting this way because we were the substitutes, but Jenessa later told us that they are almost always like that. Wow, power to you Jenessa.

So at Snt. Elvita we were supposed to teach them their numbers in English, Rachel and I split the class into two groups. We hoped that this would lessen the chaos. It did for about 3 minutes. I taught the 7-8 year olds the numbers 20-30. And Rachel taught the 5-6 the numbers 1-10. It took us an hour to teach them ten numbers. It was a different adventure for sure. We left the school completely exhausted.

We then had to teach Yerbas Buenas. A completely different world. I couldn’t believe it. These kids were so well behaved; we actually loved teaching them. They paid attention, participated, and all around were great students. We also taught them English. In fact, we taught them how to present themselves, how to say goodbye, how to ask and tell time, and 10 different foods. We got some much done!

Overall, this was a completely new adventure for Rachel and I. And there was never a dull moment. Even though some kids made us want to pull our hair out, we just loved the little hugs we received at the end of the day. And it made things better. I really fell in love with several of them. We both learned many new things. Things like:

*Education is a very important thing.

*It’s not as it seems.

*Sometimes you have to be firm, even with the cutest kid.

*If you promise them something, they will NEVER forget

*Kids will be kids

*You just got to love them J

No comments:

Post a Comment